I am a huge fan of tomato soup. It is one of those soups with which you can be creative. You can add cream or not, lots of basil or none. You can have it with or without meat balls. It can be made on a base of Chicken stock, Beef stock or Vegetable stock.
Here is a basic version of the tomato soup I make in my kitchen:
- 5 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk + leaves, chopped
- 1 can of tomato paste
- mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 ml of stock
- 1 tbsp of vegetable concentrate
- Saute the onion, celery and the herbs
- Add the tomatoes and stir for another 5 minutes
- Now add the stock, tomato paste, vegetable stock concentrate and the bay leaf
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until all vegetables are soft.
- Blend with a stick blender.