By now, I hope you have fallen in love with your slow cooker too. The following recipe is most loved by my daughter who happily scoops up seconds and thirds and she’s only 5!
This is my way of making the humble Bolognese sauce, which I use in 3 ways. 1 night for pasta, 1 night for lasagna and 1 night for soup! If you want to cook enough to do that too, please double or even triple the recipe.
- 1 kilo of grass fed beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tsp of your favourite combination of Italian herbs
- 1 capsicum, any colour, diced
- 3 carrots or so, diced or grated
- a zucchini if you have one, grated
- any other vegetable you want to hide, grated
200ml red wine/white wine
- 500ml beef/chicken stock
- 1 can of tomato puree (or home made see recipe pizza sauce)
If you feel like it, feel free to saute the mince, onion, garlic, and Italian herbs. Once sauteed place them into the slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients.
Cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Serve with pasta or quinoa.
Sometimes I just chuck everything into the slow cooker without sauteing and browning the meat first. It turns out fine and it is a real time saver if you are in a rush.