Today I had a cooking lesson with my 6 1/2 year old son, who is enjoying his school holidays at the moment. It’s always a challenge to find new and fun things to do, so today I came up with the brilliant idea to show him how to cook real stock from a real chicken. His dad recently had the guts to purchase a 500 ml. packet of Campbell’s Real Stock, which I aptly call FAKE STOCK. I obviously was not in the country at the time of his purchase, if I was this travesty would never have occured!
The easiest and most inexpensive way of making the most nutritious chicken stock, is by slowly boiling a whole chicken in a large stockpot or slow cooker for 24 hours. Add some celery, lovage, onion and carrots as well as 2 tbsp of vinegar and you are ready to go. To put into perspective the cost of homemade stock compared to store bought stock, I went and looked up the price for you to show what an overpriced article this is.
Store-bought stock 1 liter $4.24
Home made stock 1 liter $1.68
I have made stock for as long as I have had my slow cooker (which is long), but I never realised how incredibly nutritious this really is, until I read a book called; “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon.
In her book she explains;
“Properly prepared, meat stocks are extremely nutritious, containing the minerals of bone, cartilage, marrow and vegetables as electrolytes, a form that is easy to assimilate”. “Acidic wine or vinegar added during cooking helps to draw minerals, particularly calcium, magnesium and potassium into the broth”.
Wow, if that isn’t enough reason to make your own, lets have a look at the gelatin in your homemade broth.
“The public is generally unaware of the large amounts of research on the beneficial effects of gelatin taken with food. Gelatin acts first and foremost as an aid to digestion and has been successfully used in the treatment of many intestinal disorders, including hyperacidity, colitis and Crohn’s disease.”
“Gelatin also seems to be of use in the treatment of many chronic disorders, including anemia and other diseases of the blood, diabetes, muscular dystrophy and even cancer.”
So, a quick recap on how to make this AMAZING healing miracle broth:
- In a stockpot or slow cooker, put a whole chicken, chicken neck and even feet, if available.
- Add celery, lovage (if you have it) 3 carrots, 1 onion and 2 tbsp of vinegar.
- Cover with 3 to 4 liters of water.
- let simmer for 3 or so hours and remove the meat from the bones.
- Keep the meat for another dish.
- Leave the bones and vegetables in the pot and simmer for another 20 hours or so.
- Drain the stock into a glass jar and let cool before putting into the fridge. It will turn into a jelly like substance, this is what REAL stock is.
- If you have a dog you can give the bones and veggies to the dog. Because the bones have been cooked for so long they will fall apart.
- Campbell’s stock is not REAL stock, simply because it is a liquid and not a gelatin like substance, don’t get sucked in, do yourself a favour and make it in your own kitchen. Super simple and super yummy!