Now that we have established the shopping basics and the kitchen appliances that I think are useful in any kitchen, I will go ahead and share with you some foods we see often on the menu in our house.
I have a variety of recipes I always use. They are our family favourites and if you are ever invited to dine with us you will definitely be treated to one of the best beef curries in town. Ultimately, you will have to make your own list of favourite things to cook, I can’t help you with that…..but I can tell you what we cook often.
- I make my own soups from my homemade stocks, see recipe here. Soup is such an easy meal to make, it is so versatile that you will never have to eat the same soup. When I make a really large batch of bolognese sauce I will turn the left overs into soup by adding a few cups of my chicken stock and vegetable stock into the sauce. If you serve this soup with some crusty home made french bread, you will be truly satisfied. You will love cooking soups in your slow cooker, it’s easy and so yummy.
- That brings me to my next thing, baking bread. When you think of baking bread, you might well think that it is impossible to do this at home. Well, it isn’t, in fact it is so easy that I do it almost all the time. I not only bake bread, but also make English muffins and waffles. They are even easier to make and quicker. I have a easy recipe for bread right here. It requires little of your time, if you are working full time it is still possible to do this method of baking.
- I also always make my own yoghurt. It is the easiest thing you will ever do and it really saves you a lot of cash. Yoghurt in this country is seriously overpriced for whatever reason, I don’t know. But I have started to make my own, since we use it in smoothies everyday or for breakfast with muesli.
- Every morning my beautiful husband makes all of us a breakfast smoothie (this is were a blender comes in handy). The basic recipe is: yoghurt, kefir, banana, oats, almonds, flaxseed oil, LSA mix and honey. He will add different fruits everyday to keep it exciting. But the basic recipe stays the same.
- We eat meat maybe 3x a week and often in a casserole or pasta sauce. When making pasta sauce I will make enough to also use it for a lasagna and to make soup. I will always add sprouted lentils and beans to the sauce for extra nutrition.
Of course there will be other things I also cook, but I guess these items will be eaten on a weekly basis. It keeps my life simple and my budget at a reasonable limit. I hope this post may have inspired you to do some more cooking from scratch. You can be as creative as you want to be or just keep it plain and simple.